Tuesday, September 4, 2007

the second look


How can a person describe a city, a neighborhood, or a place? One can only describe the city by being in the city; smelling its air, listening to its sounds, seeing its people, touching its texture, and tasting its flavor.

When I first came to the city of New Orleans, I was surprised. Maybe it was the fact that I arrived in the city when it was dark. The neighborhood that I am living in was partially destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and therefore it looks frightening. At that moment, I knew that I was literally stepping into a totally different world. It was like the first time I stepped into Newark International Airport in New York City. I was anxious and nervous about these surroundings. But this time, the fear and the wonder were surrounding me. It was not the picture that I had drawn in my mind. It was not the picture that people had described to me. I had imaged this city is like the French Quarter but at a larger scale. I didn’t imagine that there are so many different neighborhoods within the city of New Orleans.

Although all these thoughts were going through my mind, I tried to fight them in order to find the picture that was in my mind, a unique city. Therefore I started to explore and discover the city. I went to the most delicious restaurants in the city and tried their food, yet it was tasteless. I took a ride in my car through different neighborhoods, and it still looks frightening. I realized that New Orleans is not my city.

The next day, I returned to Lexington. I was disappointed in myself. I left my dream behind me. I let down the people that supported me, both my family and my friends, when I gave up on New Orleans. Immediately, with the help of some of my professors, I decided to return to New Orleans, and face my fear. I returned to New Orleans, this time with more confidence. I was prepared mentally and emotionally. I was ready to face both the good and the bad. This time I approached the city with a saying in my mind: “Don’t judge a book by its cover”.

New Orleans is a city that unfolds as you explore it. The people of this city might look a different than what I am used to from the outside, but once you talk to them, they will smile and talk to you with an open, welcoming heart. They are just like me; people with feelings and emotions.

On the first day of school, my studio took a tour around New Orleans. I was sitting in the front of the van thinking how great this city is. It is unique because of the simplest things; the street names, the food, and the music. The city doesn’t need to be represented by typical tourist attractions, but can be represented by less obvious symbols.

This experience had taught me a lesson. In the words of Andrew M. Greeley, “We're given second chances every day of our life. We don't usually take them, but they're there for the taking.” I realized New Orleans is made up of so many different things, like it’s people, its texture and its flavors. I took a second chance to experience these things about New Orleans and I am proud of myself for doing that.

No comments: